Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Fused Glass...

A few weekends ago, Naomi and I enjoyed a Saturday morning fused-glass workshop. There is a studio not far from us and I had been intriqued by the interesting projects you can make with fused glass. It is a process of adding cut glass pieces onto a glass base. It then goes into a kiln which melds the glass all together. It can then be fired again and slumped into a functional shape like a bowl or plate. Naomi and I both chose to make display plates. The class we took focused on cutting glass into triangular pieces and then assembling a mosaic style design. We chose to do a class, but the studio is such that you can just go in and work on a project with available help from the staff.

When my oldest kids were younger it seems I made time for a lot more arts and crafts and creative endeavors... and every once in a while I feel a bit guilty about the younger ones missing out on some of that... so this was a fun opportunity!

Naomi chose to create a likeness of our former dog, Dixie, and I created a more random, abstract floral design. Below are the plates before going into the kiln...
... and here are the finished projects back at home!
Hopefully we will make time for some more creativity soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment