Monday, September 23, 2013

Welcome Fall...


 In the other gardens
  And all up the vale,
From the autumn bonfires
  See the smoke trail!

 Pleasant summer over
  And all the summer flowers,
The red fire blazes,
  The gray smoke towers.

 Sing a song of seasons!
  Something bright in all!
Flowers in the summer,
  Fires in the fall!


Autumn Fires Robert Louis Stevenson (1885)





I will come back to my Canada pictures soon, but thought I would take a break to welcome Fall as yesterday was the fall equinox.

Here in Northern California the weather is still warm and there are plenty of green leaves on the trees, but it is still evident that fall has arrived. The evening air is a little cooler, the mornings crisper, the afternoon shadows longer and the sunlight has a golden cast to it. It is probably my favorite season! When fall arrives I start to think about pumpkin spice lattes, carmel corn and fires in the wood stove.

On Saturday as we were doing our weekly housework, Naomi helped me put out some of our fall decor. Our lifestyle no longer reflects the seasons as it did in past generations; we can eat fresh pineapple in December or have cut roses on our table in January. We no longer carefully watch the calendar to determine planting time and harvest. With our global economy it is easy to miss the passing seasons; perhaps that it why I enjoy decorating seasonally, to purposely acknowledge the change. A reminder that there are some things in life that we can always count on

"While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease.” Genesis 8:22

We are enjoying some of Naomi's ornamental corn that she grew this summer. It has all the colors of a southwestern sunset!
Happy Fall!


3 comments:

  1. I like fall too. Your chalkboard is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the warmth of your Fall decor in years past...it's memorable to note the seasons God has made and to reflect His blessings in our homes! I'm still learning how to do that and haven't added much warmth to my new home yet, but I have lot's of people like you who do well at inspiring!! Naomi's corn is lovely! Happy Fall to you and yours <3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. I hope someday I will get to see your home; knowing you I can only imagine that it is warm and hospitable!

      Delete